Monday, March 27, 2006

New Music

The Celluloid Years 12"es and MORE..
This is a CD collection of the now defunct Celluloid label. I have owned most of these records, and find listening to this and liking it nostaglia inducing. I am also keenly aware that this batch of "new music" has another Label sampler from the way back machine. Christ, am I gettin' old? I promise not to fall into the classic rock trap. Track highlight: Hendrix and Lightning Rod doing "Ms Doriella Du Fontaine".

AGF.3 + SUE.C - MiniMovies
CD and DVD combo. AGF is, as always, eclectic and wonderful. Sparse beats, sparse poetry truly accessible and off-kilter all at once. The DVD is video as art by Sue Costabile. The "main movie" (27 minutes) is terrific. Some still photos, beat edited in 5.1 Surround (lost on my 2 channel analog viewing room)...worth checking out. It is packed full of provocative --not prurient-- images that trigger feelings, memories without a metronome. I very much liken this pair of mixed media disks to what Laurie Anderson was doing in the way back when. Which is not to say "copying" or evene related, but the concept of art and tech commenting on our world of art and tech in a most human way, with the sense of wonder and gee whiz and genius few can do well.

Uffie - Pop the Glock <--Vinyl
Pink Vinyl at that. 4 songs, 45rpm, good bottom to this dancetronica cum rap. Lyrics on sleeve to sing along ;)

Axiom: Reconstructions and Vexations
This is what I had hoped "Subharmonic in Dub" was going to be: sweet remixes.

Prince - 3121
Another polished slab of funk from the purple Prince. Pay no attention to the tabloids, make sure your subwoofer has plenty of power and get down.

Ai - Quality Electronic Music
A fantastic title for a label sampler. I love this largely instrumental collection. Truth in labeling..and yes, the cover looks nothing like the crappy jpg I was able to find online. My and my Minolta will reinvent the wheel eventually and I'll do my own cover image shots. Don't feel worthy yet, but this tiny illegible shot "really makes me wonder."

Jel Soft Money
This is some hippity hop. Bone rumbling bass, lyrics conspicously devoid of bling references. The tracks that hit hit hard. Mind the beats, boys and girls and nod the head.
Pedro/Fear & Resilience
This is a two disc set, the second disc being "Pedro" with remixers and additional production. Ambient DJ? Not sure how to describe this gentle music. Piano, strings, turntables evoking melancholy..Eyes close to listen better, electronic manipulation peeks through, then beats crash in.

Sleep With 4AD
DVD size case, but "just"(ie no dvd) a 2 CD collection from the 4AD label. 4AD gave us some of the most accesible goth and industrial pop ever recorded. Band after band of terrific music with just enough hits to keep the label in "wine money". This is no nostaglia, this is history.

Up, Bustle and Out
These splicers/dj's/sampler folks combine live instruments, "ethnic" samples and a fine sense of humour. "Up, Bustle and Out" are consistently better than good on every Ninja Tune release I own. Yes, I'll get the rest. Some of the salsa numbers are a tad hectic for me, but solid bass groove(s) throughout require replaying often enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment