Sunday, March 05, 2006

New Music







A mixed lot, as usual. Source was the same (PBE) mostly, but Darren gave me the Cat Power CD. The only disappointment--the problem with expectations I suppose--was "Subharmonic in Dub". It is more of a greatest hits of the Subharmonic label as opposed to a dub reworking of some terrific songs.
I have had all the source records at one time or another, but it was still nice to revisit the "Praxis" songbook. Nice part about the new way we listen to music -- random shuffle -- has prepared us for the fracturing effect that "best of" records tend to have.
Random shuffle disturbs and delights me in equal parts. My earlier incarnation as a DJ rebels against the whole lack o' structure in the roll o' the dice of randomizer. It reminds me of the "college radio playlist"--you know-- whatever I feel like hearing that is laying about the station method. I digress.
The Horvitz and Coldcut CDs are pretty sweet numbers..stay tuned for word of Podcasts using these source materials--after all, I don't have enough projects yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment