Saturday, March 01, 2008

U23D


That widget above provided by National Geographic. Yeah, my work browser crashed too!
No Grendahl, no Joli, and not loud enough for me -- but great 3D regardless!
It is startling to me to think that I have been listening to these guys since 1981. I bought my first U2 Album way back in the day, in Europe, while I was in the Army. I noted then that the cover for their second US release was the cover for the first EU (which was still a concept, as the cold war was on.
MTV playing "Sunday Bloody Sunday" over and over nearly killed my listening as completely as Van Hagar! Then came the Joshua Tree. Oh my. Achtung Baby. Rattle and Hum. Bono picking up where Geldof got ground into the dirt. And now this!
National Geographic presented this show, looks taped live in Buenos Aires. Nate Brent and I got a private show at Carmike, but the 3D crowd was sitting right next to me. Cellphones have replaced lighters. Movies have replaced concerts. iPods have replaced stereos. Home theatre has replaced the movies. MMORPGs and Halo have replaced hanging on them cornas. Plug in, turn on, drop out was never meant for all of us until now. Turn in your weapons first.
U2 3D doesn't outdo Stop Making Sense as a concert film, but man it is good. Not sure how it will translate to 2D on DVD, but at least at home I can crank it.
Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment